Previously, we discussed how to have UNLIMITED FREE reads on Kindle in Singapore and Malaysia. In this post, we are going to talk about how to buy Kindle books in Singapore as well as buy Kindle books in Malaysia, both countries use the same method, but let’s just refer to Singapore.
This tutorial will be showing you on how to buy English Kindle book from US Amazon.
The details are below:
But for those who are not willing to read through, in summary do this 2 steps:
STEP 1: Get this FREE VPN here
Optional: Sign up Amazon Audible. (There are more free audiobooks than ebooks.)
How are we going to buy Kindle books outside the US?
You can buy it through a computer or directly from your Kindle, but you need to do some “settings” before buying any book. There are many Kindle users in Singapore, some of them manage to purchase Kindle books as normal without any problem, but some are not so lucky because their purchase transaction was blocked by Amazon (it usually happen when Amazon detected that you are not buying the books in the US or your payment was not made via US credit card.).
We will show you how to buy Kindle books in Singapore using both methods: the “normal way” (do it at your own risk) and the “risk-free” method.
Important to note:
DO NOT purchase books directly from your Kindle device. Always buy them from the Amazon website on a computer using the following methods.
Before you start to buy any books for your Kindle, you should have registered your Kindle using your Amazon account. After you have registered your Kindle, you need to do TWO things:
IMPORTANT: First, sign up for a free Amazon Kindle Unlimited for unlimited reads via our link: https://amzn.to/2Fmx29b
1. Then, change Your Kindle Country Settings:
If you do not change the country settings, whenever you search for any book in Amazon.com, it will display a message “This title is not available for customers from your location in Asia & Pacific”, and you are unable to buy the book.
– At the right top drop-down menu, select “Manage Your Kindle”.
– You will see “Your Kindle Account” at the left panel, select “Country Settings”.
– Make sure you change it to “United States”. (Generate a US address here, and make sure your address is from these tax-free states: Alaska, Montana, New Hampshire, Delaware and Oregon)
If you don’t have a physical Kindle reader, you can buy 1 at discounted price via our link here: https://amzn.to/2Fmx29b
2. Load money into your Amazon account with Amazon Gift Card.
This is the prepaid fund (known as Gift Card Balance) in your Amazon account, each time you buy a Kindle book, it will deduct from your Gift Card Balance.
The purpose of using Gift Card Balance is to avoid unnecessary risk for Amazon to detect your purchase is made by non-US credit card. So, it is recommended that you should use Gift Card Balance even if you are using the “normal way” to buy Kindle books in Singapore.
Furthermore, the Gift Card Balance in your Amazon account has no expiry date, you only need to top up again when the balance is low. Refer the following steps to buy Amazon Gift Cards:
– Visit Amazon Gift Card Store
– Select the amount. Say $50 or $100 or more if you buy a lot of books.
– Enter your own email as Recipient E-mail.
– Click purchase.
– Enter your credit/debit card details if requested.
– Enter billing address if requested.
– Place your order and the Amazon Gift Card will be sent to your designated email address.
– Login to your email account to access the Amazon Gift Card. (sometimes it may take a while to reach you)
– Click the “Redeem now” button in the Gift Card.
– It will redirect you to the Amazon account.
– Log in and click the “Apply to Your Account” button.
– The money is now loaded into your Amazon Gift Card Balance.
– You can set a US address to your billing address or “1-Click settings” in your Amazon account.
(you can get a US address here, if the address shows invalid, just generate another address)
IMPORTANT: REMEMBER TO KEEP A RECORD OF THE ADDRESS (ESPECIALLY POSTAL CODE AND TELEPHONE NUMBER) YOU ENTERED INTO YOUR ACCOUNT.
You may consider doing this extra step to delete your credit/debit card information from Amazon account after purchase the Gift Card:
– Go to your Amazon account, select “Manage Payment Option”.
– Delete the card details.
Now we are ready to buy some books for our Kindles!
A. How to Buy Kindle Books – THE USUAL WAY
You can now search for any book title in the Amazon website and “Buy now with 1-Click” and have the book deliver to your Kindle, or you can connect to wifi and access the Kindle store to buy a book directly from your Kindle device. Try this at your own risk, I have tried this without any problem but some claimed that this method does not work for them, then you need to look at the 2nd method written below. (some Amazon accounts may get suspended)
B. How to Buy Kindle Books Outside of US – THE RISK-FREE METHOD
First, sign up for a free Amazon Kindle Unlimited for unlimited reads first via our link here: https://amzn.to/2Fmx29b
With this method, it is advisable not to buy a book directly from your Kindle device. You will need a VPN installed on your computer, and buy books using your computer only.
The Amazon can detect your location through your computer IP address. (you can simply see your IP address at the upper right corner of our website).
By using a VPN, it will mimic your computer IP address into a US address (your computer location will display as United State instead of Singapore). The steps are quite easy, just refer to the following:
– You will get an 10GB data after signed up the FREE account and confirmed your email. If you are using it for long term, then go for the yearly option. This is cheaper and it is only $5+ per month.
Yet if you are using this just to buy Kindle books over 2 years or so, then go for the longer period for more cost savings. Furthermore, this VPN service can be used for other functions such as access other blocked sites in future.
Windscribe on Windows, Mac, Android and iOS devices.
– After signing up the account, download the VPN software and install.
– Login and connect to US.
– Go to Amazon Kindle Book Store and search for the book title you want to buy.– Buy the book and download it by “Transfer via Computer” which you will need to transfer the book to your Kindle via USB cable,
– Have the book “Deliver to” your Kindle directly. (so far, we did not hear that anyone facing problems with direct delivery to Kindle when using VPN and Gift Card).
– After you bought the book, do remember to disconnect the VPN.
– That’s all. You should be able to download the book in your Kindle after a few minutes or less.
If you have benefited from this, be sure to LIKE and SHARE this page with your friends.
Do check out other similar pages on BooksAvenue too.